Walther Model PPKS Semi-Automatic Pistol, Raymond J. Wielgus, 1975, Art Institute of Chicago: Arms, Armor, Medieval, and Renaissance
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Raymond J. Wielgus
Size: Overall L. 15.7 cm (6 3/16 in.) Barrel L. 8.3 cm (3 ¼ in.) Caliber .38
Medium: Steel, gold, silver, ebony, and ivory
Bronze dagger, Luristan, 2nd millennium BC
from Timeline Auctions
A pair of percussion target pistols, Russia, mid 19th century
from Probus Auktioner
Wheellock Carbine for the Bodyguard of Wolf Dietrich von Raitenau, Prince-Archbishop of Salzburg, German School, 1580, Art Institute of Chicago: Arms, Armor, Medieval, and Renaissance
Through prior acquisition of the George F. Harding Collection
Size: L: 95 cm (37 3/8 in.)
Medium: Steel, brass, fruitwood, and staghorn
Nock pepperbox musket
Manufactured by Henry Nock’s company in London c.~1800 - no serial number.
.44 ball, smoothbore manually indexed six-barrel cluster, self-priming flintlock.
A considerable upgrade on his 1779 seven-barreled volley gun, Nocks uses the revolving technology of American gunsmith Artemus Wheeler and adds to it a self-priming mechanism of his own design, which would later be the basis of Elisha Collier’s famous designs. This firearm would allow its user to fire a shot, lock the barrel cluster into its next position, cock the hammer, lower the frizzen and take another shot, up to six times in a row. It was a considerably faster rate of fire than any musket at the time.
Brand No1 Whaler’s Shoulder gun
Designed by Allen c.1846, manufactured by C.G. Brand throughout the 1850′s in Norwich, Connecticut - no serial number.
22,2mm caliber, fires Allen 1846 patent harpoons or bomb lances, percussion lock.
This very first whaler iron, aka a shoulder-fired harpoon gun, was used to fuck up the biggest mammals Earth has to offer using either regular harpoons or bomb lances. Early bomb lances were explosive brass or iron shells, tipped with a spear point and fixed at the end of a shaft which was in fact a long wooden fuse set off by the firing of the gun.
Wilson BEIC swivel gun
Manufactured by Wilson c.1779 in England for the British East India Company.
>1″ caliber brass barrel, flintlock, swivel mount.
One of the many large-caliber wall guns commissioned by the British East India co. to equip their ships, which would have been a good counter for the small-scale skirmished they would regularly be exposed to.
French Satanic Dagger circa 1880s-1910s.
Blade possibly made from Model 1886 LeBel bayonet.
Detailed cast bronze hilt, articulated visor on helm.
Blade and hilt plated. Scabbard throat reinforced.
Poignard de Marine Mle1832 boarding dagger
Designed and adopted c.1832, produced from 1837 in Klingenthal and Châtellerault, France until sometime before 1872 when it was retired from service and put in Navy arsenals.
17cm steel blade, concave diamond crosscut.
These knives were a perfect source of close combat weapons for the French army when WW1 started to evolve into the trench slugfest it’s now famous for. On the 20th of October 1915, 10500 of them were sent back for frontline duty.
Frühwirth M1872 Gendarmerie repeating rifle
Designed and manufactured by Ferdinand Frühwirth c.1872 in Vienna.
11,15x36R 8-round brass tubular magazine, bolt action repeater with a magazine cutoff, skeleton pistol grip, Werndl M1867 socket bayonet.
Mauser T-Gewehr M1918 antitank rifle
Designed c.1917 and produced c.1918 by Mauser in Oberndorf, German Empire - serial number 1958.
13,2x92mmSR TuF single-shot rifle, Mauser bolt action, MG08/15 bipod, total weight of around 18kg/40lbs.
As tanks became more common, refined and armoured on the Western Front, the repurposed elephant guns or German K bullets used so far to pierce armor plates became insufficient to damage them. This prompted development of a new purpose-made infantry antitank rifle, which took form of a rifle using the previously designed Tanks und Flieger cartridge meant to feed an antitank antiaircraft Maxim gun to be deployed in 1919.
This beast of a rifle offers its shooter all the comfort once could expect during WW1, that is a pistol grip and a medal for when the recoil eventually breaks your shoulder after repeated firing.
Crate-full of Mosin-Nagant 91/30 sniper rifles
Designed by Cpt Sergei Mosin and Léon Nagant, manufactured at the Tula and Izhevsk Soviet arsenals.
7,62x54mmR 5-round internal box magazine, reloaded using stripper clips, bolt action repeating rifle.
Springfield M1903 Guiberson periscope rifle
Manufactured at the Springfield Armory or Rock Island Arsenal then modified c.1916 to function as a periscope rifle.
.30-06 5-round fixed box magazine, bolt action, collapsible stock with integrated periscope.
This modification of the AEF’s standard issue infantry rifle was meant to allow it to be fired over a trench parapet without exposing oneself. Captain E.C. Crossman noted in 1917 that the gun was sturdy, easy to use and fit for combat, but that the periscope exacerbated how unwieldy the front sights of the Springfield already were.
Guiberson’s periscope rifle was never issued to the front, maybe in part due to the increasing mobility of the front by the end of WW1.
A large and simple War Sword with bent quillons, attributed to Thomas Stother,
OaL: 81.7 in/207.5 cm
Blade Length: 60.6 in/154 cm
Guard Width: 18.1 in/46 cm
Cased and engraved Mannlicher Model 1900 semi automatic pistol presented to the Sultan of Turkey.
Brass stocked flintlock pistol, The Balkans, circa 1800
Bone and pearl inlaid wheel-lock tschinke, Silesia, 17th century
The famous helmet recovered from the Sutton Hoo burial in Suffolk, England, dated late 6th-early 7th century, housed at the British Musuem.
Bronze Corinthian type helmet, Greece, 6th century BC
Gold etched Italian war hat, circa 1550. from The Wallace Collection
A Kettle Hat in excavated condition,
Height: 9.2 in/23.3 cm
Width: 13 in/33 cm
Depth: 13.25 in/33.7 cm
Weight: 2.8 lbs/1264 g
found in Lake Morat, Switzerland, probably made ca. 15th century, housed at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Illyrian bronze helmet with decorative gold crest, 5th century BC.
from Hermann Historica
British Naval Dirk with Kris-Style Blade, c.1800
Naval officer’s dirk of Egyptian Club type c.1800, wavy 9.9” blade made in imitation of Indonesian kris, gilt brass mounts, pommel in the form of a crocodile’s head, scrolled foliate quillon finials, diced ivory grip. Good condition, gilding worn. Note: The Egyptian Club was formed by captains of the fleet after the 1798 battle of the Nile. Swords and dirks incorporating the image of a crocodile were worn by club members and soon became a more widespread fashion, although it is obvious that few if any cutlers had ever seen a real crocodile. The wavy blade of our dirk was merely intended to convey a sense of the exotic.
Bronze winged helmet, Greece, circa 400 BC
from Pax Romana Auctions
A uniquely gilt Close Helmet for the tilt,
Height: 11.75 in/29.8 cm
Width: 8.9 in/22.9 cm
Depth: 11.9 in/30.3 cm
Weight: 6.8 lbs/3090 g
Augsburg, Germany, ca. 1573, housed at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
A Sallet of classic form, Italy, 1470, housed at Bamburgh Castle.
Bronze sword, Luristan, 1st millennium BC
The Nebra Sky Disk with two bronze swords and axe heads, uncovered from a burial in Germany, circa 1600 BC
Warnant prize revolver
Manufactured by J. Warnant in Liege, Belgium for a shooting contest in Saumur, France c.1877 - serial number 5109.
11mm73 six-round cylinder, top break double action, star ejector.
This revolver was won by Marie Joseph Chatelain, a future WW1 French general. Marksmanship contests were very common during the Belle Epoque, and gave rise to a number of fancy small arms being made in standard issue calibers - like the revolver 11mm73 round for the MAS Mle1873 revolver - to be won in them.
Warnant Montenegrin ‘Gasser Pattern’ revolver
Manufactured by J. Warnant in Liege, Belgium c.1910′s.
11,3x36mmR six-round fluted cylinder, top break double action, lanyard, vulcanite grips, Galand ejection system.
A Great Bascinet for the tournament in excavated condition, Brussels, Belgium, ca. 1500, housed at Coudenberg Palace.
German Reichsrevolver M1883 service revolver
A variation of the Roman helmet Montefortino – Hagenau. The object is made of bronze and dates back to the 1st century AD.
Montefortino type bronze helmet, Italian (Roman, Etruscan, or Celt), circa 400-200BC
from The Worcester Art Museum : Higgins Armory Collection
A "Hand Pavise" or Targe/Targa/Target. This style of shield has so many names. Germany, ca. late 15th century, housed at the Kunsthistorisches Museum, Wien.
A lovely jousting Targe, probably Nuremberg, Germany, ca. 1450, housed at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. I like how the second picture the museum provides allows you to see just how concave this shield really is.
A beautiful painted Jousting Targe,
Height: 19 in/48.3 cm
Width: 16.75 in/42.5 cm
Weight: 3.75 lbs/1704 g
Germany, 15th century, housed at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
The tattered remains of a maille Hauberk, found in Gasteiz, Spain, made in the 12th century, housed at the Álva Arms Museum.
Bronze sword with turquoise inlay, China, Eastern Zhou dynasty, Warring States period, ca. 475-221 BC, housed at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
A stunning bronze Jian inlaid with gold and turquoise,
OaL: 22 in/55.9 cm
Width: 2 in/5.08 cm
China, 5th century BC, housed at the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art.
Bronze sword with stabbing hilt, Luristan, 1st millennium BC
from Timeline Auctions