Colt M1855 Root revolving rifle
Designed by Elisha K. Root and manufactured by Colt’s Patent Firearm Manufacturing Co. - serial number 1550.
Whitworth target rifle
Designed in 1858, manufactured in Birmingham, United Kingdom c.1863.
.451(bore)/.475(rifling), hexagonal lead bullet, caplock, single shot.
One of the most sough-after long-distance rifle in both side of the American Civil War, one such rifle was used by a Confederate sniper at the battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse to land a hit just below Union Major General John “Uncle John” Sedgwick’s left eye, who himself probably gave us the best last word ever uttered :
“What? Men dodging this way for single bullets? What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? Why are you dodging like this? They couldn’t hit an elephant at this distance.”
M.1865/97 Danish revolver
Originally a Lefaucheux-Chaineux -type M.1865 pinfire revolver, converted to centerfire by Kronborg Gewærfabrik in 1897. Serial Number 23.
Manufactured by W. Ortmann in Liège, Belgium c.1853~1877 - serial number 3.
11mm pinfire ten-round cylinder, 10cm long steel clip-point folding blade, side loading gate, Lefaucheux-type configuration.
Schubarth .58 pinfire cartridge
Designed by Casper D. Schubarth in 1861 in conjunction with a breechloading carbine design he attempted to sell to the US government, after some success manufacturing muskets for them.
Maximilian I of Mexico’s pinfire revolver
Manufactured in Liège, Belgium c.1861~67 for the emperor of Mexico during the French invasion - serial number 1476.
9mm pinfire 18-round cylinder, double action, two barrels to alternatively fire outer and inner cartridges, side loading gate.
Madrid’s 1907 Industrial Exhibition folding knife revolver
Manufactured in Madrid, Spain c.1907.
5,5mm pinfire Liège-proofed Lefaucheux-type revolver with an engraved 14cm long folding knife blade in the horn grip.
Mousqueton Treuille de Beaulieu Mle1854 1er Type - Treuille de Beaulieu M1854 1st Type carbine
Designed by Antoine Hector Thésée de Beaulieu, made by the Manufacture d’Arme de Chatellerault in France c.1854.
9,9x41 pinfire copper-based cardboard proprietary cartridge, single-shot open-bolt falling-block action, lance-bayonet with 86cm-long blade.
This carbine was designed to equip Napoleon III of France’s elite bodyguard regiment, the Cent-Gardes. It was among the very first metallic cartridge firearms employed by any military, which explains its odd operation - you must learn to walk before you can ride a horse and kill Prussians.
The Treuille de Beaulieu Mle1854 used a proprietary round made with a copper base, a cardboard body and a brass firing pin and extraction loop.
Treuille de Beaulieu cartridge 1st type
The gun’s breech was opened by pulling down on the firing assembly, which served as a breech block, a hammer and a cocking handle all at once. The gun could be put back on half cock once a cartridge was chambered, but this was an extremely unsafe safety as the face of the hammer remained extremely close to the round’s pin
The Treuille de Beaulieu action, fully cocked.
After discharging the gun using its long trigger, the soldier can open the breech and extract the cartridge using its brass loop.
A 2nd type of carbine was issued later that did away with the pinfire mechanism, instead opting to sit the internal percussion cap directly against the now all-brass wall of the cartridge and igniting it with a raised hammer face - instead of the former flat one. This would render the half-cock safety slightly safer.
Treuille de Beaulieu cartridge 2nd Type
Treuille de Beaulieu Mle 1854 Cavalry Musketoon with sword-bayonet
Manufactured by the Manufacture d’Armes de Châtellerault in France c.1856, designed by then capitaine of artillery Antoine Hector Thésée de Beaulieu in 1854. Serial Number 104.
9mm proprietary brass pinfire round with a secondary loop/pin used for extraction, falling block action.
Long sword bayonet a with brass disk-guard and a 86cm blade - shortened from an initial full meter.
A cuirassier of the Cent-Gardes carrying the Treuille de Beaulieu Mle 1854
STG 44 - 7.92x33mm
HK93 - 5.56x45mm
Lefaucheux-Dumonthier type revolver
Manufactured by Francisco Larrhanaga in Eibar, Spain c.~1860′s - serial number 10.
12mm pinfire six-round cylinder, 9″ socketed hooked steel blade, folding trigger.
Belgian Lefaucheux-type revolver dagger hybrid
Manufactured in Liège, Belgium c.1860′s - serial number 17568.
7mm pinfire six-round cylinder, double action, folding trigger.
German wheellock axe-pistol hybrids c.early 17th century
Manufactured in Châtellerault or Klingenthal, France.
~50cm long steel blade with double fullers on each face, cast brass hilt/grip piece.
An evolution of the Mle1831 infantry sword, with fullers to make it lighter. This was issued to non-combatants, specifically sappers-firefighters and cantinières, who didn’t need the short heavy blade meant for utility in other branches of the military.
British Pattern 1796 Infantry Officer’s Sword
The blade of this spadroon features the remains of blue and gilt decoration, with some of the gilding remaining, as well as extensive acid etched motifs, which are still clear and go a long way up the blade beyond the blued area. The blade is in nice condition and solid in the hilt. The hilt overall is in good condition, in good shape and the folding drop fully functioning. The double-shell guard is rather loose, due to the loss of the leather washer (which could be reinstated fairly easily, using a split washer), but the rest of the hilt is tight and secure. This was the regulation sword carried by the majority of British infantry officers through the Napoleonic Wars from 1796 and up until 1822.
Kunze side by side Shotgun
Manufactured by E. Kunze in Wiehe, Thüringen c.1862.
12 gauge horizontal pinfire - 1849 Joseph Lenoir patent, break action.
Horizontal pinfire cartridges were developed in the mid-19th century by gunsmiths such as Lenoir as a sort of hybridization between needle gun and pinfire mechanisms. It had the advantage over regular pinfire rounds of being loaded easily without need of aligning the pin with its notch in the barrel/cylinder. The pin was indeed aligned with the center axis of the cartridge, and would strike a percussion cap seated at the base of the bullet much like in a Dreyse paper cartridge. The advantage over said needle gun was that the pin, being part of the cartridge rather than that of the rifle, would not need to be changed every hundred shots by disassembling the gun.
13,5x57mm 1861 Lenoir horizontal pinfire rifle cartridges